If your elderly loved one has chosen to age in the comfort of their home, you may wonder if it’s the best decision. According to AARP, approximately 90% of seniors expect to stay in their current homes for the next five to 10 years, and 85% of these individuals believe they have the ability to remain in their homes without having to make significant modifications to their space.
When seniors wish to remain independent and require minimal in-home care, personal home care assistance can be a safe solution for providing the level of care they need.
What is Personal Home Care?
Personal home care attendants promote continued independence by offering support in daily, non-medical tasks and routines to meet an aging individual’s physical needs. They can help with the following day-to-day activities to ensure your loved one has company, stays safe, and enjoys their daily routine in familiar surroundings:
- Assistance with grooming and personal hygiene care
- Running errands and shopping
- Daily nutrition support and meal preparation
- Light housekeeping such as dusting and making beds
- Watering plants
- Laundry assistance
- Answering the phone or door
- In-home companionship
Benefits of In-Home Personal Care Assistance
Many seniors prefer in-home care to nursing homes or assisted living facilities due to the many benefits that personal home care services offer. This safe, affordable, and reliable elder care solution can provide your family with peace of mind by ensuring that someone is around to help your aging loved one when you can’t be there. In-home personal care can support you and your family by offering the following benefits:
- Independent living. Personal home care can allow your loved one to maintain a good quality of life by providing day-to-day assistance while preserving much-needed independence. Staying at home is the least restrictive environment for seniors who wish to remain engaged with a normal, daily life and routine.
- Caring companionship. Staying socially-active helps seniors maintain both emotional and physical health and increases quality of life. According to Harvard Health, social engagement may also help prevent memory loss. A personal home care attendant can offer your loved one in-home companionship which can be especially important for individuals who live alone. From going on walks, to playing games and engaging in other social activities, personal home care is essential for individuals who are in need of a caring companion.
- A familiar & comfortable living space. One of the many reasons why seniors wish to age at home is that they don’t want to leave the comforts of their own space. Personal home care can help your loved one feel most cared for, safer, and happier. Research shows that aging adults remain healthier and have a much better quality of life when they can remain in their own homes for longer.
- Ability to maintain meaningful relationships. When your loved one stays at home it can be much easier for them to stay connected to the important people in their lives. Personal home care allows for more social interactions with close friends, family, and neighbors which can keep morale high. Most assisted living or senior living facilities have restricted visiting hours, but in-home care will allow your loved one to see who they want to whenever they want to while staying engaged in their normal daily activities within their community.
- Peace of mind. Let’s face it: We are all busy. With work, kids, and other life responsibilities, it’s impossible for us to be there for our aging loved ones at all times. Choosing a reputable personal home care agency will ensure that your elderly loved one is taken care of by a professional caregiver. This means more peace of mind for you when you can’t be around.
- Affordability. Personal home care can be an ideal solution when you’re looking for affordable elder care. Many times, personal home care can cost much less per hour than keeping your loved one in a nursing home or assisted living facility.
Personal Home Care for the Elderly in Akron, Ohio
If your aging loved one, parent, or relative needs some help with daily tasks around the home, personal home care may be the right choice for your situation. Our personal home care services in Akron, Ohio are ideal for aging adults who can manage most tasks on their own but need just a little bit of help or support. Let My Family Home Health Care help your loved one experience the comforts of home for as long as possible. Contact us today for a personal home care assessment.