As seniors age, there are a variety of issues that may arise, including managing medications, needing in-home assistance or dealing with medical claims. It can be difficult for family members or caregivers to navigate each new challenge. For this reason, a home health social worker who specializes in seniors can be a huge support in your loved one’s life.
Most people are familiar with the role of social workers in helping children, parents or younger families. Social workers for seniors have the same goal in mind as a family social worker: advocate for the well-being of the individual they serve.
What is an In-Home Social Worker?
Geriatric social workers are specifically trained in understanding the unique needs of seniors. These professionals work with a senior’s entire care team to provide solutions and support for each part of a senior’s life. For example, an in-home social worker may point out an overlooked community health care program. Or they may serve as a communication liaison between a medical specialist and your loved one.
Above all, geriatric social workers act as advisors, advocates and allies for seniors.
How Do Social Workers Help the Elderly?
Social workers help and support the elderly in many ways, including:
- Coordinating a transition from hospital to home, including transportation and after-care
- Helping with communication between health care providers, seniors, their loved ones and caregivers
- Identifying local programs and amenities to support a senior’s health or well-being
- Supporting with insurance claims and programs
- Knowing when to suggest home health care services and support
- Offering counsel on tough subjects, such as end of life scenarios
- Introducing new technologies or other support systems to make day to day life easier
When Should You Hire an In-Home Social Worker?
If you’re asking yourself the following questions, it may be time to hire a social worker for your elderly loved one:
- What will I do if the needs of my elderly loved one become too much for me to handle?
- What kind of support programs does my loved one qualify for?
- Is my loved one getting all they can out of their benefits?
- How can I help my loved one prepare for the possibility of a fall, illness, hospital stay or end of life scenario?
- How do I help my family and my loved one understand their latest diagnosis and ongoing care?
- Does my loved one need regular support at home? How do I coordinate their care?
The bottom line is, a social worker can make the care and coordination of many types of services for your loved one far easier. Since they are focused on the overall well-being of their clients, they can also help avoid or prevent future challenges. An in-home social worker will be one of your best teammates in caring for your loved one especially if they want to remain at home.
In-Home Social Workers for Seniors in Akron, Ohio
Our goal is to help seniors enjoy living at home for longer. My Family Home Health Care offers a variety of home care services including social work. Let My Family take care of your family. Contact us today for an assessment.